Thursday, January 26, 2012

The standard bell curve applies to all professions, whether it be a teacher, an accountant, a plumber,  or a Dr. 20% are top notch, 60% are  mediocre and 20% are sub par.  If you are re-grouting your bathroom and you choose a sub par handyman you are out a few hundred dollars and have learned a moderately expensive lesson.  If you have cancer and choose a sub par surgeon or oncologist the results can be disastorus.


I have spent the last 18 months assembling  a team of medical professionals that represent the best of the best- the top 20% in their respective fields.


My former internist, Dr. Monica Altman at New York  Presbyterian is the Dr. that  originally saw and knew the acorn snapped nodule was very serious. For all of her charm she does not have a poker face. When I first showed her the lump on my neck her eyes grew as big as saucers and immediately scheduled a biopsy for 10AM the next morning. Even before I got results I knew I was in trouble.  When I got a phone call the following afternoon around 4PM, I recognized the hospital's  phone exchange and I knew the news was not going to be good. Dr. Altman, always the consummate professional broke the news to me as gently as she possibly could-  the nodule was indeed cancerous, but it would require a full biopsy to determine the exact kind and the extent of the cancer. It took a full week to complete the tests and arrange my first appointment with my first oncologist at NewYork Presbyterian. Dr. Altman has subsequently moved on for personal reasons but I often think of her fondly from time to time, wondering, and hoping she is well.


My new internist, Dr. Cyrus Boquin also at New York Presbyterian picked up the mantle where Dr. Altman left off. His professional pedigree is without question he is indeed a  first class internist.  Aside from being a really nice guy with  a great bedside manner he is very approachable and I could not ask for Dr. - patient relationship.


Dr. Maria Ordonez at New York Presbyterian was my chief, and primary surgeon. It was Dr. Ordonez's responsibility was not only to remove my cancerous kidney but to make sure I survived the operation.To say she was a breath of fresh air is an understatement. From our first meeting when  she ushered me into her office, spent ten minutes reviewing my chart and medical records and then walked me through the entire procedure step by step. Even during the signing of the pre-surgery waivers, ( always an uncomfortable moment for me), she was very reassuring. Her follow through, her continued  dedication to my well being, her personal interest in my health and general well being in my health is touching. I am and will be forever be in her debt. Dr. Ordonez is a unique individual- she is in a word, an angel- my angel.


Dr. Darren Feldman at Memorial Sloan Kettering is my oncologist. When I first met Dr. Feldman I was apprehensive to say the least. Having had three oncologists in the previous ten months there was good reason to have a healthy dose of skepticism. Fortunately all of my skepticism was totally unfounded. My concerns, my worries were my own issues. Dr. Feldman's professional pedigree is above reproach but more importantly I trust him implicitly. Having cancer and being terminal comes with a large dose of anxiety and at times depression and a feeling of complete helplessness. Dr. Feldman's ability to explain my disease, to put me at ease, his willingness and ability  to address those feelings and  he never rushing me through door. If there is a Dr. that can add months to my life it is Dr. Feldman.


My therapist is Angela Lloyd Heller at New York Presbyterian. When I was first diagnosed with cancer my then oncologist recommend that I talk to her but I dismissed the idea outright. About a week later Angela called me directly offering me to come see her- again I dismissed the idea. One day, about two weeks later I was feeling especially vulnerable, I called Angela and set up my first appointment for the following week- it was without a doubt the best move I ever made. Those who know me best will all admit that I am not an extrovert, not gregarious and very often a curmudgeon. I am not a warm and fuzzy guy. I do not feel comfortable in opening up and talking about myself and my problems, especially to a stranger.


Angela has a "gift", a unique ability to put one at ease, to make one feel totally comfortable. There  is not a subject that I can't  or haven't discussed with her. I know that due in large part to Angela I am handling my illness as well as I am.


Dr. Burkhalter is a relatively new addition to my team, a he is a psychiatrist , his initial primary goal was to help me stop smoking, I have cut down, although not completely quit, some habits are easier to break than others. Those that know me best will attest to this. I can now go days, even weeks without smoking, but I still do love that occasional cigarette. I hope to include him on my permanent team. Much to my pleasure he has never asked me " and how does that make you feel"- a phrase way too often used by psychiatrists and also happens to be a personal pet peeve of mine. The last Dr. that asked me that question I was sorely tempted to punch in the nose and then ask: " how does that make you feel" - needless to say I did not, but rest assured I was  tempted.


No matter what hospital you are being treated at make sure you are 100% comfortable with each and every member of your team and their support team. If you are not, speak up immediately, and vociferously. Your personal well being is in a large part dependent on your mental well being. You and your Dr.s have to be on the same page. They may be brighter than you- all of mine are, thank God, but it is your health, your well being that is at stake.



No comments:

Post a Comment