Thursday, February 23, 2012


Cancer- Depression & Anxiety

It is a given that those suffering with cancer also suffer from some form of anxiety and depression at some point. The depth and duration of the bouts of anxiety and depression can depend on a host of variables. Those suffering terminal cancer the effects can be even more debilitating.

Anyone who has ever suffered from either anxiety or depression knows that they often wash over you like a wave, enveloping you completely even to the point of suffocation. For some this can be chronic and very debilitating.

For any of you wondering , "is Chris suffering from anxiety or depression and is this his way of letting me know?". Rest assured I am fine, I am not depressed, although the anxiety never really leaves. Through modern chemistry, I am able to manage. I am also fortunate enough to have an extensive group of very good friends, many of which date back over 25 years, that not only support me, but are proactive in their support.

For me the anxiety and depression are a result from losing life as I once knew it, a career, a purpose in life, but most importantly a hope of a better future. To lose hope is to lose all. To know that one is biding one's time, waiting for the inevitable.... if depression was not an inadvertent side effect, I would worry. With the help of my therapist and anti anxiety drugs, I am able to manage. Anti depression drugs have a slew of side effects that make life even worse, if i was not depressed before taking them I surely would be after. Every time I become overly anxious or depressed I ask myself would I react in the same manner if I were not ill. Most often the answer is no, and I know it is me that is being irrational. It is my way of maintaining a check and balance in my life and making sure I never stray too far off.

Weather plays a major factor in my depression.  Last winter was especially rough and the depression was much worse. There were days I would not leave my house, sometimes for up to five days at a time, not even answering the phone or returning calls. This winter has been exceptionally mild which has made this year much better. Also I am now able to recognize the the first signs of anxiety and depression and proactively address them.

The more one has of anything, the less importance one places on any given item. The less one has, each remaining item becomes that much more important. If one has a career, a wife, a pet, a girlfriend and all the accouterments of life, losing one of them may seem meaningless, however to see them each slip away, each remaining article becomes vastly more important.  Hence the feeling of both anxiety and depression. Keeping busy, finding purpose in life, staying as active as possible are all essential in keeping the depression at bay.

I am happy to announce that my blog is being read and hopefully enjoyed on 6 of the 7 continents. The only continent missing is Antartica. Thank-you, one and all

No comments:

Post a Comment