Wednesday, April 11, 2012


 Gilda's Club- Cancer Support Group

Many afflicted with cancer become overwhelmed by the disease and need support, help, and guidance in dealing with the array of emotions they encounter. This is true whether you yourself have cancer, or a loved one does, or if you are a caretaker for one with cancer. For some, the need for help may be short lived, while others may require more extensive, more comprehensive help. There is no shame in admitting  " I need help"; we all need "help" at one point or another in our lives.

For those afflicted with cancer there is the most wonderful cancer support group called Gilda's Club. Look under the resource guide for the link to Gilda's Club. If you are reading this and questioning yourself “do I really need help?", the answer is probably yes. Click on the link, pick up the phone and call them.

Gilda’s Club is named after actress/comedienne Gilda Ratner of Saturday Night Live fame, who died of ovarian cancer. Gilda's Club was founded by her then husband, the late Gene Wilder. There are many cancer support groups, but this one, in my opinion, is the best.  In addition to the support groups, which are not only for patients with cancer, but also for those caring for those with cancer, a group for family members who share in the disease, and a separate bereavement group, for those who lost someone to cancer.

In addition to the cancer support groups, Gilda's Club offers a wide array  of classes and activities, everything from yoga to art therapy, special comedy nights, and much, much more. Their calendar is full, with events offered virtually each day or evening (see their calendar for monthly events).

Gilda's Club Is headquartered in New York City, with offices and chapters throughout the country. Gilda's Club is listed to the right of the screen under the resource guide section- for more information click on the link to find the closest Gilda's Club nearest you. Call them, it will be the best phone call you ever made.

Within two weeks of my diagnosis, I started to attend Gilda's Club. I knew I was not going to be able to cope on my own. I knew that it would take more than I was able to muster internally to get through my issues- it would take a "village", and a very large village at that.

Each group is small, with no group consisting of more than 15 people.  Most of the groups are much smaller; my group had between 8-10 people attending any one session. It truly is an oasis for those diagnosed with cancer. I actively attended group for 13 months, and I am still a member- just not an active one.

Due to the nature of the disease, people often don't attend if they have had a chemo or radiation therapy session that day, were tired, etc.  In order to attend a group, Gilda’s Club’s only requirement is that you make a commitment to attend 12 consecutive sessions. This is so that there is continuity within the group; that time is spent wisely on dealing with group issues; and that the group does not have a revolving door.

Each group has a facilitator, a licensed therapist/counselor. My counselor was a wonderful woman by the name of Bridgette.  Bridgette's approach was unique; a facilitator of sorts, she allowed and encouraged each member to share, allowing each person who wanted to speak adequate time; and was at no time overbearing. She allowed conversations to flow freely, always ensuring that conversations  never got off track. I do and will forever remember her with great fondness. For me Gilda's Club was exactly what I needed when I needed it the most. I am -- and forever will be-- beholding to them.

I started attending meetings in Feburary 2010 and was active in the group until April 2011. I believe all therapy should have a start date and end date, and that one should attend for a specific purpose, fulfill that purpose, and move on.  For some this takes more or less time; but I say to you -- never lose track of the desired end result-- to get better --if not physically, emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment